The Kairos Cookie Ministry
Homemade cookies are a tangible expression of Christian love and an
indication of God’s concern for a group of people who seldom encounter
either in the course of their daily lives. Your loving sacrifice will
provide “bread” that shines the Light of God’s Grace into the darkest
corners of a prison unit. A typical Kairos Weekend will go through
hundreds of dozens of cookies which are distributed to inmates,
correction officer, support staff and yes, even team members! Please
make as many as you possibly can. They will NOT go to waste! May God
bless you for the gift of baking!
Hancock Team Members are asked to make (or acquire) 10 Dozen Cookies!
Cookie Guidelines Cookie Preparation
- Many types of cookies are generally acceptable including: Oatmeal, Peanut Butter, Molasses, Chocolate Chip, Ginger and Sugar.
- Homemade cookies from scratch are a special treat but store bought cookie DOUGH can be substituted. However, all cookies should be
“home-baked”. Store BOUGHT cookies do not convey the same message as "lovin' from the oven"!
- Cookies should be between 2 inches and 2-1/2 inches in diameter and not more than 1/2 inch thick.
- Avoid using icing or any other type of coating on the outside of the cookie.
The Key Ingredient – Prayer!
- Pray individually or as a family over the ingredients before and during mixing.
- Pray over the cookies as you drop them onto the cookie sheets and bake them.
- Ask God to use your cookies as a source of His love to shine on the prisoners and staff on the Kairos weekend.
- Pray that each cookie brings the inmate, officer or warden who eats it closer to God. We want every person to become part of the family of God.
Packing the Cookies
- Bag thoroughly cooled cookies in a Zip Lock sandwich bag - six cookies per bag.
- You may wish to freeze the cookies if the Kairos Weekend is more that 1 week away.
Getting the Cookies to the Prisoners
- If you are a Team Member, bring your bagged cookies with you to the Weekend and give them to the Coordinator (or Head Agape).
- If you are providing Oven Agape for the Team, please deliver the bagged cookies to a team member shortly BEFORE the start of the weekend, so they can be taken into the prison.
Tried and True Cookie Recipes
Download this PDF file for these recipes
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Molasses Cookies
- Sugar Cookies